Monday, June 6, 2011

X-Men: First Class sets the curve

I finally had my opportunity to see X-Men: First Class, and in my humble opinion, this is the best of the bunch. While there were some questionable choices, including some of the characters they chose to include, all in all, this was a great effort and a very entertaining watch. The time period was used well, and never got really cheesy, as is such a danger with anything set in the 60's. Special effects & makeup were solid, and the pacing was spot on.

The casting for the main 2 characters was dead on, and after this, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Michael Fassbender fast tracked to play James Bond. Admittedly his Irish lilt popped out in a few scenes which consequently jolted me out of his portrayal of Magneto, but that's about the only criticism that I could come up with in regards to his performance. James MacAvoy played the role of the dickish yet brilliant Professor X to perfection. January Jones, not so much, as I'm pretty convinced that she couldn't act her way out of a paper sack. Unfortunately emotions are hard, but at least she was nice eye candy, and the effect they used for Emma's diamond form was amazing!

As per usual I don't want to give anything away, but there are some cameos that are nothing but pure awesome. In fact, if I could just have a movie of Professor X & Magneto schmooze with prospective mutant recruits, I'd be completely down.

Anyway, go see this flick, I don't think you'll be disappointed. Just don't bother staying past the credits, as there's no sweet extra scene attached to this one. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment